Sunday, April 8, 2007

High Anxiety of Getting Into College

High Anxiety of Getting Into College

This is the time of year when colleges send their decisions and many high school counselors console, cheer up and otherwise try to help this year’s seniors.

****I am reminded of the story I read in "Millionaire Mind" about a high school student who was told by their school counselor not to pursue college anymore because his SAT scores were way below national standards.

Then, the author asked, "If you are that boy, would you have persisted?"

I would've cowered in fear and anxiety, especially during my high school days. Perhaps as a high school, and in the light of statistical proof, I would've dismissed college as a mere wish. That it is for the intellectuals. That God did not give me what it takes to be a college graduate. That further, it was not my destiny.

But given all that pressure, this boy persisted. Despite all odds. Now, that boy has been an icon of American freedom and equality. His speech is considered number one on the Top 100 Most Significant American Political Speeches of the 20th century. You can hear his speech here.

Oh, I forgot. His name is Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: