Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Diana Day on Online kids

School Me! Adventures in Education

I've read research about how many teens are online, blogging and doing God-knows-what, but frankly, I don't know which teens these stats are referring to.  I've had the opportunity to talk with lots of young people in a variety of settings, and when I ask them how many are blogging or how many have their own webpages, I get blank stares. Usually, someone will pipe in, "Do you mean a MySpace page?"

(Read Diana Day article on LATimes.com)

***I have had the same experience as Diana.  I asked these kids I am handling in college prep, and I am amazed that no one among them knew about the latest things in the internet.  They don't know about rss, about the recent digg revolt.  And then, i asked myself, "I thought these kids are always online?"  My friend answered, "Yes, doing friendster and myspace".



No comments: